Sunday, January 17, 2010

She'll be comin' 'round the mountain


She's coming back! She's coming back!!!!
That's right, my agility idol Susan Garrett has announced that she is coming back to Vancouver in June for a workshop (eeeeeek!) The last time she was here (and the only time) I put Cooper (this was before I retired him from agility) in a working spot for her Novice handling class, and audited her puppy day and Contacts/weaves clinic. Those three days were a total blast for a rediculous dog nerd like me :-) I learned a tonne and had a LOT put in perspective. This was all long before I got 7 so I'm more than a little excited (can you tell?) to learn from her again with a new puppy that loves the work.
Susan is not only my agility idol but she's also one of my favourite dog trainers. You won't hear her mentioning dominance or punishment in any one of her talks unless it is to explain why she doesn't use such archaic methods.
I will also be attending two Kim Collins Outreach weekends before then, which will also help to keep me on course with 7's agility stuff. All in all I'd say this spring is going to be chock full of great learning opportunities.
The best thing about all this is that it's coming at the perfect time for me. 7's 8 1/2 months now so he's going to be just at the right age to start doing full height agility equipment and sequences just before she comes. Also my plan is to start his 2*2 weave training at a year which gives me a month to work on it before she gets here and then I can ask her about anything I had trouble with.
Having a special date like this is also very helpful for a lazy dog trainer such as myself to kick herself in the butt and work her dog more often.



Oh, little puppy...you've got no idea what you're in store for!

No comments:

Post a Comment