Saturday, February 13, 2010

Where oh where has my little dog gone?

Well, it's been over a week and 7 is still not completely sound thanks to his sliced paw. For five days after the initial injury I didn't take 7 out for any exersize whatsoever...for those of you who have ever met 7, THAT is a remarkable feat. In all honesty it didn't have much to do with me, he didn't want to do anything. He spent the entire week sleeping in various spots around the house only getting up to eat or potty. I felt like I'd lost my dog! Where was my spitfire? My out of control wild-child? I went from having a dog that required a daily hard run of at least an hour and a half to remain functional, to a dog that decided walking more than 2 metres at a time was pushing it! He has recovered a lot now and is back to needing hard daily exersize but he's still a bit lame and is certainly spending a lot more time sleeping than before.
In the meantime I took up a Susan Garrett challenge http://susangarrettdogagility.com/2010/02/shaping-challenge.html
to shape a new trick in within two days. I chose the trick that I've seen Jody's Abby (No tails of a nutty mutt) perform which is having the dog open the fridge and get out a bottle of water for you. This didn't take very long at all as I've previously taught him to close his crate door with a tug toy attached. He transfered to tugging on the toy attached to the fridge door quite quickly and then it was just a matter of shaping him to pick up the water bottle and hand it to me. This is the finished result...

No comments:

Post a Comment